Storage Occupancies Fire Sprinkler in Houston, TX
A. Complete Sprinkler Requirements. The following paragraphs outline where complete sprinkler systems are required. Group S-1, 903.2.9: An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided throughout all buildings containing a Group S-1 occupancy where one of the following conditions exists:
- A Group S-1 fire area exceeds 12,000 square feet
- A Group S-1 fire area is located more than three stories above grade plane.
- The combined area of all Group S-1 fire areas on all floors, including any mezzanines, exceeds 24,000 square feet.
- A Group S-1 fire area used for the storage of commercial trucks or buses where the fire area exceeds 5,000 square feet.
- A Group S-1 occupancy used for the storage of upholstered furniture or mattresses exceeds 2,500 square feet. Repair garages, 903.2.9.1: An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided throughout all buildings used as repair garages in accordance with Section 406, as shown:
- Buildings having two or more stories above grade plane, including basements, with a fire area containing a repair garage exceeding 10,000 square feet.
- Buildings no more than one story above grade plane, with a fire area containing a repair garage exceeding 12,000 square feet.
- Buildings with repair garages servicing vehicles parked in basements.
- A Group S-1 fire area used for the repair of commercial trucks or buses where the fire area exceeds 5,000 square feet Bulk storage of tires, 903.2.9.2: Buildings and structures where the area for the storage of tires exceeds 20,000 cubic feet shall be equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1. Group S-2, enclosed parking garages, 903.2.10: An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided throughout buildings classified as enclosed parking garages in accordance with Section 406.4 as follows:
- Where the fire area of the enclosed parking garage exceeds 12,000 square feet; or
- Where the enclosed parking garage is located beneath other groups. Exception: Enclosed parking garages located beneath Group R-3 occupancies. Commercial parking garages, 903.2.10.1: An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided throughout buildings used for storage of commercial trucks or buses where the fire area exceeds 5,000 square feet. NFSA 2015 Fire Sprinkler Guide 2015 IBC
B. Allowable Heights and Areas. The allowable heights, areas and stories illustrated in the following tables represent the information found in Chapter 5 of the IBC. The maximum area of multi-story buildings depends on single occupancy, nonseparated occupancies or mixed occupancies. For multi-story, single or nonseparated occupancies, the allowable area, sprinklered or unsprinklered, is multiplied by three. For more information, see IBC Section 506.2.3 for single or nonseparated occupancies and Section 506.2.4 for mixed occupancies.